meta name=”robots” content=”index, follow” Meschery's Musings of Sports, Literature, and Life Meschery's Musings on Sports, Literature and Life: Sports Page Stuff

What my musings are all about...

Blogging might well be the 21st century's form of journaling. As a writing teacher, I have always advised my students to keep a daily journal as a way of organizing their thoughts for future writing projects, a discipline I have unfortunately never consistently practiced myself. By blogging, I might finally be able to follow my own good advice.

The difference between journaling and blogging is that the blogger opens his or her writing to the public, something journal- writers are usually reluctant to do. I am not so reticent.

The trick for me will be to avoid cluttering the internet with more blather, something none of us need more of. If I stick to subjects I know: sports and literature, I believe I can avoid that pitfall. I can't promise that I'll not stray from time to time to comment on ancillary subjects, but I will make every attempt to be interesting and perhaps even insightful.

Friday, July 22, 2016

Sports Page Stuff

SPORTS 7/19/2016

I read this morning that ex-Cardinals' executive got 4 years jail time for hacking Astros' database. For years at approx. $30,000 bucks per year = $120,000.00 for the four. For HACKING???? We wonder why people question our justice system. This isn't justice, it's foolishness. A fine was imposed of $250,000 dollars. Why tie up our prison season for hacking. I can think of a number of different punishments better suited to the crime than to financially burdening our taxpayers. If you agree, send a letter to your newspapers, your state senator or representative.

Speaking of foolishly spending taxpayer money, how much moola do you think was spent on Deflategate? Sometimes I think our various systems of government are simply silly, silly, silly, which in my mind is more telling than being incompetent and stupid. At this moment, retired Washington Supreme Court Justice, Donald Horowitz and other judges, and like-minded attorneys are working on streamlining our judicial system. God help them. 

Russians caught doping. No? I would never have guessed, wink, wink, wink.They got a dope for a president, so what's new? The East Germans made a culture out of doping. I IOC is dope as it is. So we have dope governing dope.

Could it possibly be that the Sacramento Kings, who desperately need a point guard/shooting guard passed on Denzil Valentine and drafted a 7' 3" 19 year old Greek center who is out of shape (at least not in NBA shape) and is slow and has poor footwork???? You know that I'm confused by the number of question marks I used.

SPORTS 7/20/2016

Pro wrestlers are suing the WWE for head injuries. Really? Road Warrior Animal and Paul Mr. Wonderful didn't rehearse all those take-downs, falls, slaps to the head, choke holds? You mean to tell me that pro wrestling is a legit sport? I'm flabbergasted.

Fastest pitch ever in the majors recorded at 105.1 mph. And the sport is still boring.

I'm pushing for a four point line in the NBA. Anybody agree?

Was the recent cover of SI thrilling seeing KD wearing a Golden State Warrior uniform?

Lots of pressure on Stanford running back Christian McCaffrey. Can his speed and quickness be enough in the NFL?

SPORTS 7/22/16

Good for the NBA taking the All Star Game away from North Carolina. The irony, of course, is that this game would have been a great way to showcase a franchise owned by an African American, Michael Jordan.

Read where DeMarcus Cousins is trying to pick the brain of Carmelo Anthony while they're together on the USA Olympic Team. Let's hope Cousins doesn't decide to play defense like Melo, who never learned to play one on one in Syracuse and has refused to learn properly. The Knicks will never be a winning team with Carmelo. Never. For the sake of Sacramento, my adopted city, let's hope this too will not be Cousins' fate.

Not a poem, but an image without which poetry can not survive.

Blood Sports

I found red boxing gloves under the tree.
They each reminded me of a reindeer's heart. 

               Jack Driscoll. "Boxiing Towards My Birth."




No comments: