meta name=”robots” content=”index, follow” Meschery's Musings of Sports, Literature, and Life Meschery's Musings on Sports, Literature and Life: Almost Numb

What my musings are all about...

Blogging might well be the 21st century's form of journaling. As a writing teacher, I have always advised my students to keep a daily journal as a way of organizing their thoughts for future writing projects, a discipline I have unfortunately never consistently practiced myself. By blogging, I might finally be able to follow my own good advice.

The difference between journaling and blogging is that the blogger opens his or her writing to the public, something journal- writers are usually reluctant to do. I am not so reticent.

The trick for me will be to avoid cluttering the internet with more blather, something none of us need more of. If I stick to subjects I know: sports and literature, I believe I can avoid that pitfall. I can't promise that I'll not stray from time to time to comment on ancillary subjects, but I will make every attempt to be interesting and perhaps even insightful.

Monday, July 4, 2016

Almost Numb

The minute I hear the news that Kevin Durant has joined Stephan Curry and Klay Thompson to create the greatest three point shooting triumvirate, I emailed Rick Welts, the Warrior COO. He wrote back, "Almost numb."

The first thought that comes to mind is that not only have the Warriors acquired the best three point shooting stretch forward in the history of the game, they have acquired one of the nicest men in the league. All you have to do is watch the video of Kevin's tribute to his mother, and you know his character is decent, caring, thoughtful and principled. The good guy Warriors are a perfect fit.

The second thought I had is how will any team in the NBA be able to close out fast enough on a floor spaced by these three dead-eye shooters? And let's not forget Draymond Green, who is capable of hitting threes accurately as well.

The next thought that occurred to me was that this team, given the players' average ages, could turn into a dynasty. I'm not testing the Universe, but I don't see a lot of  holes in this team. The stretch forward was always a bit of a conundrum up to now, Harrison unable for one reason or another, to reach his potential. A good young man, I hope he does well on his new team.

The last super star stretch forward the Warriors had was Rick Barry. His jersey hangs in the rafters above Oracle Arena. There is no doubt in my mind that Durant's will too one of these days, along with Curry, Thompson, and Green. Welcome to the rafters, guys.

Okay, Joe, you and Peter, Jerry and Bob are studs. One team on the court, another equally talented team off the court running the show.


Haiku for Durant     by Tom Meschery

His arm snakes backwards
   
   Hands cupping the basketball

Over his head lovingly


No comments: