meta name=”robots” content=”index, follow” Meschery's Musings of Sports, Literature, and Life Meschery's Musings on Sports, Literature and Life: What More Is There to Say about Setph Curry?

What my musings are all about...

Blogging might well be the 21st century's form of journaling. As a writing teacher, I have always advised my students to keep a daily journal as a way of organizing their thoughts for future writing projects, a discipline I have unfortunately never consistently practiced myself. By blogging, I might finally be able to follow my own good advice.

The difference between journaling and blogging is that the blogger opens his or her writing to the public, something journal- writers are usually reluctant to do. I am not so reticent.

The trick for me will be to avoid cluttering the internet with more blather, something none of us need more of. If I stick to subjects I know: sports and literature, I believe I can avoid that pitfall. I can't promise that I'll not stray from time to time to comment on ancillary subjects, but I will make every attempt to be interesting and perhaps even insightful.

Sunday, June 12, 2016

What More Is There to Say about Setph Curry?

It's hard to come up with accolades for Stephan Curry that haven't been said before in one form or another. One that continues to surface is the notion that Curry has reinvented the game of professional basketball, perhaps all of basketball. But has he? By himself, hmm? Put Curry on a different team, say Chicago or Orlando - both good teams - but without the philosophy of movement, the selflessness, the teamwork of the Warriors, would Curry still have, as they say, reinvented the game?

This is the way I see Stephan Curry: He is one artist, a superb one and undoubtedly the principal representative, of  a movement, like Impressionism or Symbolism. In the case of Impressionism, Curry would be Edouard Manet, and in the case of Symbolism, he'd be Odion Redon. Was it the artist or the movement that was the transcendent force? It is my belief that, until these Warriors, there's only been one other team that reinvented the game, and that was the Auerbach Boston Celtics. So ask yourself, was it Russell or the Celts that changed the way basketball would be played in the future?

Don't get me wrong, I swoon over paintings by Manet and Redon as I do watching Curry's sweet, high, and long-distance jump shots.

On to another subject. Are you kidding me, LeBron James, strong as a bull, fast as a speeding bullet, complaining he's not getting calls when he drives the paint. OMG! When do the refs ever call HIM driving right over a player, knocking him to the ground, stepping over him and scoring? You can't have it both ways, your highness. Didn't figure you to be a whiner. By the way, what was that throw-down of Draymond Green and crotch-step-over (absolutely intentional) all about? Guess Draymond doesn't show you the respect you feel you deserve, is that it?

Whatever our beliefs, shouldn't we, as athletes, give thanks, either as a meditation or as a prayer, for our bodies and our skills?

Prayer   by Henry Charles Beeching

God who created me
   Nimble and light of limb,
In three elements free,
   To run, to ride, to swim:
Not when the sense is dim,
   But now from the heart of joy,
I would remember Him:
   Take the thanks of a boy.


No comments: