meta name=”robots” content=”index, follow” Meschery's Musings of Sports, Literature, and Life Meschery's Musings on Sports, Literature and Life: Curry Doubles MVP

What my musings are all about...

Blogging might well be the 21st century's form of journaling. As a writing teacher, I have always advised my students to keep a daily journal as a way of organizing their thoughts for future writing projects, a discipline I have unfortunately never consistently practiced myself. By blogging, I might finally be able to follow my own good advice.

The difference between journaling and blogging is that the blogger opens his or her writing to the public, something journal- writers are usually reluctant to do. I am not so reticent.

The trick for me will be to avoid cluttering the internet with more blather, something none of us need more of. If I stick to subjects I know: sports and literature, I believe I can avoid that pitfall. I can't promise that I'll not stray from time to time to comment on ancillary subjects, but I will make every attempt to be interesting and perhaps even insightful.

Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Curry Doubles MVP

It's taken me 48 hours to get over Steph Curry's performance in the Warriors' overtime victory in Portland. For five minutes, as I watched, mesmerized, there was nobody on the court except Steph. the rest of the Warriors and the five Blazers moved only as background dancers would in a ballet in synchrony with the principal dancer. This was Stephan Curry doing his Mikhail Baryshnikov imitation. This was sport as art. I could have been watching live from the Met, instead it was live from the Moda Center in Portland, Oregon.

In sports history, Curry's five minutes in overtime will be remembered in the same context as Wilt's 100 point fourth quarter, of Kobe's 60 point game, of so many of Michael Jordan's miraculous shots, of Bird's winning baskets. But none, in my mind, will equal Steph Curry's performance for esthetheticism.

One last comment. Toward the end of the overtime period, the camera panned to the Trailblazer owner, Paul Allen, his mouth hanging open in amazement. 

Steph #13   by Tom Meschery

Crows drop through the trees
   Outside my window the sky
Rains deep three-point shots

No comments: