meta name=”robots” content=”index, follow” Meschery's Musings of Sports, Literature, and Life Meschery's Musings on Sports, Literature and Life: A Few Small Concerns

What my musings are all about...

Blogging might well be the 21st century's form of journaling. As a writing teacher, I have always advised my students to keep a daily journal as a way of organizing their thoughts for future writing projects, a discipline I have unfortunately never consistently practiced myself. By blogging, I might finally be able to follow my own good advice.

The difference between journaling and blogging is that the blogger opens his or her writing to the public, something journal- writers are usually reluctant to do. I am not so reticent.

The trick for me will be to avoid cluttering the internet with more blather, something none of us need more of. If I stick to subjects I know: sports and literature, I believe I can avoid that pitfall. I can't promise that I'll not stray from time to time to comment on ancillary subjects, but I will make every attempt to be interesting and perhaps even insightful.

Thursday, February 18, 2016

A Few Small Concerns

I'm a little worried that Rodger Goodell will have a hard time in the coming years now that the NFL has cut his salary down to $34.1 million. How's he going to pay for groceries?

Strange news from King Land. Do GM's fire assistant coaches without consulting first with head coaches?

More from the Land of the Kings: I'll take Mosgov and Shumpert for McLemore and Koufas any day of the year. Hell, Cousins likes to play on the perimeter anyway. Guess he can't get over that he was a guard when he was 12 years old. Of course, the irony is that the big fellow is the Kings second best 3 pt shooter.

I'm a little concerned with English grammar in the NBA after reading a quote by Eric Spoelstra of the Heat in this morning's sports page: "That was between Hassan and I." Eric, drop the Hassan, repeat the sentence and see how stupid that sounds. We got enough problems teaching grammar to our kids,we don't need NBA models screwing up.

Would somebody tell me how Marco Belinelli, who played a couple of fabulous seasons off the bench for the Bulls and Spurs, suddenly turned into a dud with the Kings?

Browsing through a collection of old poetry, I came across this lovely quatrain by William Makepeace Thackerary and started laughing at its quaint message.  No, that's Make Peace, not World Peace.

Who Misses or Who Wins

Who misses or who wins the prize
Go lose or conquer as you can;
But if you fall, or if you rise,
Be each, pray God, a gentleman.

No comments: